Love the library? Become a member of the Library Board of Trustees!
- Advocate for the library
- Serve as a community liaison
- Help shape library policies
The Library Board of Trustees advises the Library Director and the County Manager on issues related to the library, and acts as a liaison between Durham County Library and the community. The duties and responsibilities of the Library Board of Trustees are as follows:
- To review and make recommendations to the Library Director, County Manager, or Board of County Commissioners, as appropriate, on proposed library programs, policies, and regulations for the government of the Library;
- To make recommendations to the Board of County Commissioners concerning the construction and improvement of buildings and other structures for the library system;
- To advise the County Manager regarding the appointment of the Library Director;
- To participate in preparing the annual budget of the library system;
- To recommend to the Board of County Commissioners a schedule of fines and charges for late return of, failure to return, damage to, and loss of library materials, and to take other measures to protect and regulate the use of such materials;
- To otherwise advise the Board of Commissioners on Library matters. The Board shall make an annual report on the operations of the library to the governing body and shall make an annual report to the Department of Cultural Resources as required by G.S. 125-5.
The Library Board of Trustees meets every other month on the third Thursday from 6-8 p.m.
For more information, visit durhamcountylibrary.org/board or call 919-560-0167.
Property tax listing must be current. County and City taxes must not reflect any delinquencies before an application is considered.
*Please note that appointment schedules may change without notice.
Appointments will be considered by the County Commissioners on Monday, August 26, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. in the Commissioners’ Meeting Room, second floor, Durham County Government Administrative Complex, 200 East Main Street
For applications, please contact the Clerk to the Board’s Office at 919-560-0025.
Deadline for receipt of applications–5:00 p.m., August 2, 2013