Program: Day of the Children, Day of the Books Celebration: Universal Language of Music
Date: Monday, April 21 to Wednesday, April 30
Location: All locations
Cost: Free and open to the public
About: Durham County Library will host the Day of Children, Day of the Books Celebration, themed Universal Language of Music, from Monday, April 21 to Wednesday, April 30. Special storytimes, crafts, music and more are scheduled at each of the seven Durham County Library locations throughout the celebration, ending with the grand finale at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, April 30 at the Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St.
Day of the Children, Day of the Books, also known as El día de los niños, El día de los libros, is a celebration based on childhood and literacy that began in 1997. Borrowing from the traditional Mexican holiday “El día de los niños,” the American version expanded to include literacy when author Pat Mora took up the cause in 1997. The U.S. Congress officially designated April 30 as “Day of the Child” in 1998.
The schedule for the week is:
- Monday, April 21, 10:30 a.m., Bragtown Library Family Literacy Center, 3200 Dearborn Dr.
- Tuesday, April 22, 10:30 a.m., North Regional Library, 221 Milton Rd.
- Wednesday, April 23, 10:30 a.m., Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.
- Monday, Apr. 28, 10:30 a.m., East Regional Library, 211 Lick Creek Ln.
- Monday, April 28, 6 p.m., South Regional Library, 4505 S. Alston Rd.
- Tuesday, April 29, 10:30 a.m., Southwest Regional Library, 3605 Shannon Rd.
- Wednesday, April 30, 10:30 a.m., Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St. – Grand finale featuring guest Alex Weiss
For more information, contact Jovanna Foreman at 919-560-0188 or visit durhamcountylibrary.org.
Durham County Library encourages Discovery, connects the Community and leads in Literacy. As a department of Durham County Government, the library furthers Goal 1 of the county’s Strategic Plan by enhancing cultural, educational and creative opportunities. For more information about the library, visit durhamcountylibrary.org.
Contact: Gina Rozier
919-560-0151 or email@example.com