The purpose of this policy is to set forth guidelines for accepting and handling gifts made to the Durham County Library, a department of Durham County Government. (The library has no authority over gifts made to other organizations such as the Durham Library Foundation or the Friends of the Durham Library, Inc.)
II. POLICY STATEMENT
The Durham County Library accepts gifts of cash and non-cash property. All gifts received by Durham County Library will be directed to purposes consistent with the strategic directions of the organization. The Durham County Library accepts gifts according to the following guidelines:
Monetary gifts will be directed to the Durham County Library for operations, library materials, equipment, other capital expenses, or to designated funds. The Durham County Library is a governmental agency, so all gifts are tax-deductible to the full extent of the income tax laws.
Gifts of Materials
Gifts of materials will be evaluated by members of the library’s Materials Selection Committee, according to criteria in the library’s selection policies. This committee determines where the gifts can best be used. The value of the item(s)given is to be determined by the giver.
Gifts to Special Collections
Gifts to existing special collections will be evaluated by the appropriate special collection librarian. The library will consider donor preferences regarding the disposition and use of these gifts. If appropriate, the donor and the Library Director may execute a Durham County Library Gift Agreement which will lay out the understanding for the disposition and use of the gift.
Gifts of Personal Property
Gifts of personal property, art objects, portraits, antiques, and museum objects must be approved by the Library Board of Trustees. Because the library is not a museum, gifts of items for permanent display or preservation are not normally accepted. The Library can however, accept such items when all of the following criteria are met:
- The item is specifically and clearly related to the library or Durham history, or otherwise serves the library’s strategic directions.
- There is adequate and appropriate space to display and/or house the item.
- The item can receive proper care and attention.
- The donor and the Library Director execute a Durham County Library Gift Agreement which provides for disposition and use of the gift.
Gifts of Equipment
Gifts of equipment will be evaluated by appropriate library staff members who will make recommendations to the Library Director for approval. All gifts must meet library and/or county government standards and serve the library’s strategic directions.
Gifts of Real Estate
Gifts of real estate must be approved by the Library Board of Trustees and the Durham Board of County Commissioners.
This policy applies to all gifts received by the Durham County Library, a department of Durham County Government.
- The Library Director and the Development Officer are responsible for interpreting, monitoring, and ensuring regular reviews of this policy. The Development Officer is authorized to negotiate gift arrangements with prospective donors in accordance with this gift policy.
- Durham County Library Division, Branch, and Unit Managers are responsible for understanding and effectively communicating to employees their responsibilities regarding this policy.
Effective Date: September 12, 2006
Review Date: September 2008