This two-teacher school was built for the 1926-27 school year. It was constructed on two and a quarter acres of land and cost $3,695. Of this total, $270 came from the black community, $2,725 from public funds (provided by the Durham County school board), and $700 came from the Rosenwald Fund. It was insured for $3,000. The Russell School is located in Lebanon Township at the intersection of St. Mary's and Guess roads. It was completed during the tenure of Jeanes supervisor Carrie Jordan. It is now owned by Cain's Chapel Baptist Church. It is the only Durham County Rosenwald school still standing.
The community served by this school set the local trend of petitioning the school board for funds, having previously requested money for additions to an existing school. In spite of repeated rejections for the construction of a wholly new school building, the black community of Lebanon Township persisted in their campaign until funding was finally granted.
|June 6, 1921||Charles Dunagan, John Mangum|
|May 2, 1927||Gep Mack|