This one-teacher school was built for the 1923-24 school year. It was constructed on two acres of land and cost $1,900. Of this total, $200 came from the black community, $1,300 from public funds (provided by the Durham County school board), and $400 came from the Rosenwald Fund. The Union School was located in Patterson Township and was completed during the tenure of Jeanes supervisor Carrie Jordan.
In 1922 the black community that would be served by the Union School began pursuing its construction. Like other black communities where Rosenwald schools were built, approval came after the community pledged to provide funding, materials, and labor for the project.
|October 2, 1922||W. O. Carlton, Doc Scott, Mrs. Hedgepath, Joseph Eades, W. P. Green, C. E. Carlton|