This four-teacher school was built for the 1922-23 school year. It was constructed on two acres of land and cost $8,300. Of this total, $3,300 came from the black community, $4,000 from public funds (provided by the Durham County school board), and $1,000 came from the Rosenwald Fund. The Walltown School was located on Onslow Street in the Walltown area, off of West Club Boulevard, where Northgate Mall stands today. It was completed during the tenure of Jeanes supervisor Mattie Day and was the second Rosenwald school built in the county. The surprisingly large amount of money raised by the black community for this school may reflect support from the black business community or some similar set of donors. In 1927 it was among the many county schools annexed into the Durham city school district.
For the 1924-25 school year, a one-teacher addition was built at a cost of $1,450. The black community provided $85, the school board $1,165, and the Rosenwald Fund $200. Like other schools in Durham County that were built and quickly expanded, the Walltown School's growth reflects a huge growth in the local population.