Description: Bird's eye view of the mill district of West Durham. Erwin Mills is shown in the foreground (Erwin Square today). The red church in the middle is the original Blacknall Presbyterian. The dirt road going into distance is old NC 10 (better known today as Hillsborough Road). West Durham's Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth streets are dotted with mill houses. Today this turn of the century mill village, now known as Old West Durham, is a national historic district. It is home to the funky Ninth Street business district, award-winning Magnolia Grill, Durham's oldest fire station, and the Erwin Mills cemetery. It is also the birthplace of songwriters John D. Loudermilk ("Tobacco Road") and Don Schlitz ("The Gambler"). Postcard issued circa 1914.
Postmark place and date: none
Handwritten text on front of card: none
Handwritten text on back of card: none
Printed text:: none
Filename: JS004 - JS004b