Description: Scenes at the North Carolina College for Negroes (now North Carolina Central University). It began as the National Religious Training School and Chautauqua, opening its doors in 1910 and later becoming the nation's first state-supported liberal arts college for African-American students. Shown here are three buildings in the 1940s: Clyde R. Hoey Administrative Building (ca. 1929), William H. Robinson Science Building, and B. N. Duke Auditorium. Under the leadership of founder James E. Shepard (1875-1947), the institution became one of the nation's foremost public colleges for African Americans.
Postmark place and date: none
Handwritten text on front of card: none
Handwritten text on back of card: none
Printed text: The North Carolina College for Negroes, founded in 1910 and then known as the National Religious training School and Chautauqua, is situated on a fifty-acre tract of land. About fifteen of these acres are used for the main campus. Tennis courts are located near the dormitories. Two athletic fields are used for both intramural and intercollegiate playing. North Carolina News Company, Durham, N.C. Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C.T. Art-Colortone" Post Card (Reg. U. S. Pat. Off.)
North Carolina News Company, Durham, N.C.
Filename: JS122 - JS122b