1201 Fayetteville Street
Durham, North Carolina 27707 (map)
Stanford L. Warren Branch Library is served by DATA bus routes 5 and 8.
Mon. 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Tue. 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Wed. 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Thu. 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Fri. 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Sat. 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Stanford L. Warren Library became the new home of the historic Durham Colored Library on January 17, 1940. Only the second black library in the state, the Durham Colored Library opened to the public August 14, 1916. Its roots were in a library organized in 1913 by Dr. Aaron Moore in the basement of the old White Rock Baptist Church. Stanford L. Warren Library has been an important community resource and a gathering place for civic and service organizations throughout its history, especially during the civil rights era. The black and white library systems merged in 1966. The branch retains the name of its benefactor, Dr. Stanford L. Warren, who gave $4,000 during the Great Depression to secure the site for the new building. The annex was added in 1949-1950; renovations occurred in 1968, 1984-1985 and 2004-2006.
- 10,244 square feet, 2 story building
- public meeting room (seats 75)
- Tutoring room
- Two study rooms
- The Selena Warren Wheeler Collection is an extensive compilation of African-American literature, culture and history that is regarded as one of the best collections in the South. Once known as the Negro Collection, it was renamed in 1990 to honor Ms. Wheeler, daughter of Dr. Stanford L. Warren and acting director/director of the Durham Colored Library/Stanford L. Warren Library from 1932 until 1945.
Services and Features:
- Adult and children’s programs
- Community bulletin board
- Friends of Stanford L. Warren Branch Library group
- Photocopier for public use
- Public access computers, with Internet access: 12 (8 for adults, 4 for children)
- Wireless Internet access
- Self checkout/RFID technology
Thank you for choosing the library as a place to study, meet, work and play. Your patronage has made the library one of the most popular gathering spaces in the county. We invite all members of the community to enjoy the resources available at Durham County Library.
You can reserve Stanford L. Warren Branch’s Meeting Room (capacity 75) via our online room reservation system by clicking the button below. You will be taken to the Meeting Room Policy page. You must read and acknowledge these terms before proceeding with your reservation.
Stanford L. Warren Branch’s study rooms cannot be reserved online. Please visit the location in-person or call 919-560-0270 to reserve these rooms.