Durham County Library is excited to offer free, digital versions of popular magazines for our patrons through Zinio. We subscribe to over 70 e-magazines including Cosmopolitan, Newsweek, ESPN the Magazine, National Geographic, O, the Oprah Magazine and many more.
- No waiting or checkout periods
- Multiple viewing platforms (computer, tablet, smartphone)
- Interactive elements such as audio and video
- Intuitive searching and navigating within each magazine.
Getting Started with E-Magazines
The following sections will help you get started with checking out E-Magazines from the library. If you need further assistance, visit any DCL location or find more help guides, FAQs, and an online support request form at our online help page. You can also download (PDF) a one-page getting started guide.
Using DCL’s free Zinio magazine subscription service requires the creation of two accounts: a library Zinio account to view our collection and a free zinio.com account to read magazines online or via the Zinio Reader app on your mobile device. Follow these steps to create both accounts.
Note: You must use the same email address for both account.
Create a library Zinio Collection account:
- Go to the library’s Zinio Collection page. (We recommend bookmarking this page in your computer or mobile device’s browser.)
- Browse the collection and click on a magazine to check out and click Checkout.
- Click Create New Account.
- Enter your full, 14-digit DCL library card number and click Next.
- Enter you name, email address and choose a password.
- Enter the required information and click Create Account.
- Once your library account is validated, click Confirm Checkout.
- Your magazine in now checked out and available to read in your Zinio.com account.
Create a free Zinio.com account to start reading:
- After checking out your magazine, a Zinio.com window will open and will prompt you to log in.
- If you are new to Zinio.com, click Create an Account. (If you already have a Zinio.com account through another library, or because you have purchase subscriptions through Zinio, you may use that account as long as the email address is the same as the one you used for you library Zinio Collection account.)
- Enter the required information and click Submit. (Make sure to use the same email address you used for your library Zinio Collection account.)
- Your personal reading account is now activated and your magazine is available in the Your Library tab on Zinio.com.
Visit your device’s app store to download and install the free Zinio Reader app or click one of the links below.
Note: Use the Zinio app only to read your magazines. Browse and checkout new issues of library magazines via the DCL’s Zinio Collection web page. (Bookmark this page for easy access.)
Follow these steps to read your magazines using your device’s browser or the Zinio Reader app.
Using Your Computer’s Web Browser
After checking out a magazine, click the cover image to open it for reading.
Note: Some magazines can only be viewed using the Zinio Reader app and will not be available on your computer.
Using the Zinio Reader App on Smart Devices
Reading magazines on smart devices (tablets, smartphones) must be done through the Zinio Reader app; no online browser is available.
- Open the Zinio Reader app and sign in to your Zinio.com account.
- Select a magazine you’ve previously checked out by tapping on the cover.
- The issue will open for reading and begin downloading to your device.
- Continue reading your magazine, or finish reading offline after the download is finished.
Return to the DCL Zinio Collection page using your web browser to check out additional magazines. (Bookmark this page for easy access.)
Note: You cannot check out magazines with the Zinio Reader app.
- Use the Account Settings area of your Zinio.com account and/or the Zinio Reader app on your mobile device to change your password, change your auto-download preferences and to set your app’s home screen. (We recommend setting your Zinio Reader app’s home screen to “Your Library” (PC/Mac) or “Read” (mobile apps).
- Edit your collection to remove magazines on your computer and/or mobile device.
- Connect to your Zinio.com account.
- Click Your Library (PC/Mac) or Read (mobile apps).
- Click Edit near the top of the screen.
- Click the X next to the issue you wish to remove from your device.
- You can restore previously removed issues by clicking the Restore tab at the top of the Edit page.
In addition to providing checkout services for the library, Zinio also allows users to purchase magazines. If you find yourself in a Zinio section where it asks you to buy a magazine, simply click Your Library (PC/Mac) or Read (mobile apps) to return to the listing of magazines you checked out from the library.
You are under no obligation to ever purchase magazines from Zinio. However, if they offer a magazine the library does not subscribe to, you may purchase it and it will be available for you to read right along side of the ones you checked out from DCL.
When you initially create your Zinio.com account, you may receive an emailed voucher from the Zinio.com store. This voucher is automatically sent to welcome new Zinio.com members and is unrelated to your email notification preferences.