Durham County Library is excited to offer free, digital versions of popular magazines for our patrons through Zinio. We subscribe to over 70 e-magazines including Cosmopolitan, Newsweek, ESPN the Magazine, National Geographic, O, the Oprah Magazine and many more.
- No checkout periods; keep the magazine for as long as you want
- Multiple viewing platforms (computer, tablet, smartphone)
- Interactive elements such as audio and video
- Intuitive searching and navigating within each magazine.
Getting Started with Zinio
The following sections will help you get started with checking out digital magazines from via Zinio. If you need further assistance, visit any DCL location or find more help guides, FAQs, and an online support request form at our online help page.
Using DCL’s free Zinio magazine subscription service requires the creation of a library collection account that connects you to the DCL collection and allows you to check out and read magazines.
Create a library collection account:
- Go to the library’s Zinio Collection page. (We recommend bookmarking this page in your computer or mobile device’s browser.)
- Browse the collection and click on a magazine to check out and click Checkout.
- Click Create New Account.
- Enter your full, 14-digit DCL library card number and click Next.
- Enter you name, email address and choose a password.
- Enter the required information and click Create Account.
- Once your library account is validated, click Confirm Checkout.
- Your magazine in now checked out and available to read.
Visit your device’s app store to download and install the free Zinio for Libraries app or click one of the links below. A Zinio for Libraries personal account mobile app is a READ ONLY app which allows enhanced reading options, including reading offline via downloaded magazine and bookmarking.
The Zinio for Libraries mobile app is available for iPad®, iPhone® and Android™ for free in the corresponding app stores.
An app is also available for Kindle Fire HD/HDX tablets. For information on how to install this app, view a getting started guide (PDF).
Note: Use the Zinio app only to read your magazines. Browse and checkout new issues of library magazines via the DCL’s Zinio Collection web page. (Bookmark this page for easy access.)
Follow these steps to read your magazines using your device’s browser or the Zinio for Libraries app.
Using Your Computer’s Web Browser
After checking out a magazine, click the cover image to open it for reading.
Note: Some magazines can only be viewed using the Zinio for Libraries app and will not be available on your computer.
Using the Zinio Reader App on Smart Devices
Reading magazines on smart devices (tablets, smartphones) must be done through the Zinio for Libraries app; no online browser is available.
- Open the Zinio for Libries app and sign in to your library collection account.
- Select a magazine you’ve previously checked out by tapping on the cover.
- The issue will open for reading and begin downloading to your device.
- Continue reading your magazine, or finish reading offline after the download is finished.