Co-Sponsored Program and Exhibit Policy
The Co-sponsored Program and Exhibit Policy defines the criteria for co-sponsorship of programs and exhibits by the Library with other groups and sets guidelines for these programs and exhibits.
II. POLICY STATEMENT
In its role as a center of information and learning, the Durham County Library welcomes the opportunity to co-sponsor programs and exhibits with other organizations. The Library considers the following criteria in approving co-sponsorship of a program or exhibit:
- Relatedness of the program or exhibit to the mission of the Library
- Potential to promote the use of library materials and services
- Anticipated quality of program or exhibit; e.g. skilled presenters, interesting topics, timeliness of material, appropriateness of subject and approach; graphic and/or artistic quality
- Contribution to the variety and balance of programs and exhibits
- Likelihood of successful collaboration
- Other demands for space and staff time
The Library system provides staff assistance, meeting room and display space, and marketing support for programs and exhibits that meet the criteria for co-sponsorship, as agreed upon in advance with the co-sponsoring group. Co-sponsorship agreements must be approved by an administrative librarian, which in most cases would be the applicable main library unit head or branch library head.Fees and Sales
Exhibits: No selling of goods or services is permitted through library exhibits.
Programs: All programs must be open to the public. Fees are permitted for co-sponsored programs when the fee is solely for materials provided to participants. No individual may be refused admission to the program because of inability to pay for the materials.
Sale of tangible goods is permitted at co-sponsored programs when all of the following conditions are met:
- The materials sold are related directly to the program
- The sale is determined by the Library to contribute to the Library’s mission and goals
- A financial benefit will accrue to the library from the sale either from discounted program fees or percentage of sales revenues
Liability: Care will be taken to protect exhibit materials, but the Library cannot be responsible for loss, theft, or damage.
This policy applies to programs and exhibits co-sponsored by the Library with other organizations at all Library service locations.
Durham County Library Division, Branch, and Unit Heads hold responsibility for understanding fully and effectively administering this policy.
The Marketing and Development Manager has the responsibility to interpret, monitor, and recommend changes to the policy, and to approve all fees and sale of goods.
V. REQUESTS FOR RECONSIDERATION OF DECISIONS REGARDING PROGRAMS AND EXHIBITS
- Persons who disagree with a decision regarding co-sponsorship of a program or exhibit may appeal the decision by completing a request for reconsideration of program or exhibit form.
- The request will be considered by a committee composed of the Library Director, ,the Administrative Council and other staff as appropriate.
- The committee will communicate its decision by letter to the person making the request.
- Appeal of this decision may be made to the Library Board of Trustees, whose decision will be binding. The request for a hearing by the Board must be made in writing to the Library Director at least one week prior to a regular Board meeting.
Effective Date: October 2010
Last Page Update: January 19, 2012