Program: Self-Publishing Boot Camp: Get Your Book Out in Print or Digital Ebook
Dates: Saturdays, April 26; May 3, 10
Time: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Location: Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.
Cost: Free and open to the public
About: Durham County Library will present an interactive series, Self-Publishing Boot Camp: Get Your Book Out in Print or Digital Ebook, on Saturdays, April 26, May 3 and May 10 from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St. Local publishers, book producers, bookstore staff, writers and marketing experts will help participants explore options for making their work available to a larger audience.
Topics covered during the three sessions will include a general overview of the publishing process, outline of the advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing, discussion of copyright, review of publishing format options, exploration of potential sales outlets and conversation on promoting the finished product. Presenters will include Barbara Williams, book designer and publisher with BW&A Books, Inc.; Jon Batson, author, entertainer and publisher; Sonja Foust, author and blogger; Jennifer Lohmann, author and librarian with Durham County Library; and Laurin Penland, events coordinator and bookseller for The Regulator Bookshop.
The Self-Publishing Boot Camp Schedule:
Saturday, April 26, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Presenters will include Barbara Williams and Jon Batson. Specific topics covered will include types of publishing, copyright and permissions, organizing your book, identifying your audience, digital rights management and an exploration of traditional publishing versus self-publishing.
Saturday, May 3, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Presenters will include Barbara Williams and Jon Batson. Specific topics covered will include budgeting for your project, choosing an electronic format, designing and formatting your book and its cover, and an evaluation of print-on-demand versus offset printing.
Saturday, May 10, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Presenters will include Jon Batson, Laurin Penland, Jennifer Lohmann and Sonja Faust. A representative from BW&A Books will also be available. Specific topics will include managing sales, establishing and understanding bookshop and library relationships and processes, marketing, and using social media.
About the presenters:
- Barbara Williams has worked in the publishing industry for 40 years in both academic and general trade organizations. Her Durham studio, BW&A Books, Inc., has provided freelance services to organizations, publishers and individuals for 25 years.
- Jon Batson is an award-winning writer, talented entertainer and the driving force behind Midnight Whistler Publishers (MWP), an independent press located in Raleigh, NC.
- Sonja Foust is a published author and self-proclaimed internet dork. She combines her loves for reading, writing and internet tom-foolery on her blogs at sonjafoust.com and Pintester.com.
- Jennifer Lohmann, author and librarian at Durham County Library, won the Librarian of the Year award from Romance Writers of America in 2010. As a part of Harlequin’s “So You Think You Can Write” Contest, she was offered a contract on her first book in 2012, published as Reservations for Two in February 2013.
- Laurin Penland, bookseller and writer, currently works at Durham’s The Regulator Bookshop. She received her MFA in Fiction from the University of North Carolina Wilmington, where she was the assistant editor for the literary journal, Ecotone.
This program is sponsored by the Friends of the Durham Library. For more information, contact Carter Cue at 919-560-0282 or visit durhamcountylibrary.org.
Durham County Library encourages Discovery, connects the Community and leads in Literacy. As a department of Durham County Government, the library furthers Goal 1 of the county’s Strategic Plan by enhancing cultural, educational and creative opportunities. For more information about the library, visit durhamcountylibrary.org.
Contact: Gina Rozier
919-560-0151 or email@example.com