Current Durham County Library open positions are listed below. To apply for a position, click the “Apply Now” link within the position description. You will be taken to the description on the Durham County website where you can apply online.
For a complete list of all Durham County job openings, see the county’s employment page.
Under the supervision of the Children’s Services Manager at North Regional Library, provides guidance in the use of the collection to individuals and groups; acquaints juvenile borrowers with library resources, services and policies; explains use of the Horizon database, Internet, other electronic resources and general reference tools. Provides reference assistance and guidance in user’s selection of materials, shares in the responsibility for coverage of the information desk, maintains knowledge of the unit’s holdings by self-reading, examining new acquisitions and reading in the field of juvenile literature. Encourages the use of the library’s resources through imaginative programs, plans and presents special programs and activities, including story times both in-house and as outreach. Prepares bibliographies, book talks, displays and other special tools to increase access to and awareness of library resources. Assists as needed with pulling daily holds, sorting, shelf-reading, shifting, shelving and maintaining general order throughout the children’s unit. Follows and carries out library policies, procedures and strategic plan. Performs other related support assignments and duties as required. The person in this position will work one night each week and will also work every third weekend. Although this position is based at the North Regional Library, the person in this position may be required to work at other locations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the special service area to which assigned
- Thorough knowledge of library policies, procedures, and materials
- General knowledge of library principles, methods, materials and practices
- General knowledge of reader interests and of books and authors
- General knowledge of the theory and objectives of a public library system
- Some knowledge of print and electronic reference sources
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library employees and patrons
- Ability to supervise and motivate subordinate staff
- Ability to use personal computers and word processing and spreadsheet software
- Ability to organize and maintain materials and reference files
- Sufficient keyboard experience to use automated system effectively
- Possess excellent internal and external customer service skills
- Basic computer skills
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited community college with study in library science or related specialty area and two years of experience in general library services or the related specialty area.
Ability to communicate in Spanish is highly desired.
Job Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 9/18/2018
Closing Date: 9/24/2018
Salary Min: $29,282.00
Salary Max: $52,707.00
Position Number: 40001816
Updated: September 19, 2018