Current Durham County Library open positions are listed below. To apply for a position, click the “Apply Now” link within the position description. You will be taken to the description on the Durham County website where you can apply online.
For a complete list of all Durham County job openings, see the county’s employment page.
Support library circulation functions by registering new library borrowers, checking items in and out, pulling holds, collecting fines and fees, and daily intake and delivery of library materials. Assist with special projects that support the library’s strategic plan. Serve on system teams and committees as assigned. Provide excellent customer service in a team-based environment. Work is performed under the supervision of the Circulation Manager. Although the position is based at the South Regional Library, the successful candidate may be asked to work at other locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of library policies and procedures; general knowledge of library principles, methods, materials and practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library employees and patrons.
- Ability to acquire special competence in a specific phase of library work.
- Ability to supervise and train subordinate workers.
- Ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to an associate’s degree in library science or a related field and six months in general library experience.
Job Type: Part-Time, 50%
Posting Date: 10/20/2016
Closing Date: 10/26/2016
Salary Min: $13.65/HR
Salary Max: $24.57/HR
Position Number: 40006376
Primary duty is to configure and provide support for standard IT as well as library specific hardware and software such as Envisionware PC management and printing, Horizon ILS, 3M automated sorter, and 3M self-check. Responds to support tickets submitted by library staff in a timely and accurate manner. Assists in supporting the library’s core applications on-site and through SaaS. Investigates hardware and software issues for all library computers and equipment. Assists with technology needs of programming for the public and staff meetings as needed. Supports hardware, software, and processes related to the Maker Movement – 3D printers, laser cutters, Arduino, Raspberry Pi’s, and others. Opportunities to lead, plan, and implement new library technology initiatives. Some evening and weekend work required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong troubleshooting skills and diligent follow through.
- Superior customer service skills.
- Proficient at quickly learning software applications and configuring them.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office suite in a support role.
- Strong understanding of core networking concepts (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, Windows firewall, wireless, basic switching and basic routing).
- Comfortable with creating documentation, including but not limited to SOPs (standard operating procedures) related to technology throughout the library and for specific departments – both in written form and using multimedia (video).
- Ability to work independently or as team member.
- Able to communicate effectively and courteously with staff with various levels of technical experience.
- Ability to take initiative and use creative and innovative thinking to find solutions to computer or technical problems.
- Working knowledge or experience with cloud-based applications and services. (e.g. Office 365 or Google Apps).
- Basic understanding of Active Directory administration (user accounts, security groups, GPOs and understanding of OU structure).
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school, supplemented by courses in microcomputer systems, database management and two (2) years of experience in PC configuration, installation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Current Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator certification, Current A+ as well as Network + or CCNA certifications, and/or some Linux knowledge.
- Some knowledge of scripting in any language.
- Working knowledge of application installation and deployment options (e.g. MSI packages, SCCM, silent installs, etc.).
- Experience supporting and installing Windows desktops as well as configuring server systems.
- Experience supporting secured environments and implementing security controls, including but not limited to, BIOS configuration, GPOs, SCCM, anti-virus, user account security, security group management, proprietary hardware (e.g. security gates), etc.
- Previous experience developing and updating workstation images using Microsoft imaging tools (e.g. DISM, WinPE, and WDS).
Job Type: Full Time
Posting Date: 10/14/2016
Closing Date: 10/28/2016
Salary Min: $39,600
Salary Max: $71,280
Position Number: 40001715
Updated: October 20, 2016