Current Durham County Library open positions are listed below. To apply for a position, click the “Apply Now” link within the position description. You will be taken to the description on the Durham County website where you can apply online.
For a complete list of all Durham County job openings, see the county’s employment page.
As a member of the Adult Services Department (Reference & Reader’s Advisory and Adult Programming), this person will provide services and programs to meet the needs of a dynamic, diverse customer base. The successful candidate will be comfortable working with diverse populations, participate in and contribute to the advancement of new library initiatives, which requires a strong public service orientation and aptitude. The candidate must be equally comfortable providing services via phone, online chat, email and in person while providing a high and consistent level of customer service. Candidates should possess a knowledge of current and emerging technologies; a strong working knowledge of both print and electronic resources; strong analytical and problem-solving skills; a creative and innovative approach to library programming; strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills; and a commitment to ongoing professional development. Candidates should have experience in professional library work to include, but not limited to; computer based technologies, NC Live and other research databases; STEM programming; and digital media. Although this position is based at the Main Library, to meet service needs, this person may be asked to work at other library locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- General knowledge of professional library principles, procedures, materials and practices.
- General knowledge of reader interest levels and good knowledge of procedures, books and authors relevant to the assigned area.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library patrons.
- Ability to establish and maintain favorable public relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- An ability to develop proactive relationships with community organizations.
Requires a master’s degree in library science from an ALA accredited library school.
- Experience working with creative technology hardware, software and related tools
- Makerspace programming
- Science and/or STEM related programming
- Experience working with the business community and/or ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Posting Date: 04/21/2016
Closing Date: 05/06/2016
Salary Min: $36,000.00
Salary Max: $64,800.00
Position Number: 40001759
Updated: April 21, 2016