Current Durham County Library open positions are listed below. To apply for a position, click the “Apply Now” link within the position description. You will be taken to the description on the Durham County website where you can apply online.
For a complete list of all Durham County job openings, see the county’s employment page.
Reporting to the Main Library Manager, this person will lead the Adult Services Unit (Reference & Reader’s Advisory) to provide services and programs that meet the needs of a dynamic urban customer base. The successful candidate will be comfortable working with diverse populations, will participate in and contribute to the advancement of new library initiatives, and will help leverage technology to meet the needs of library users. The candidate must be equally comfortable providing services via phone, online chat, email and in person while providing a high and consistent level of customer service. The Adult Services Manager will provide vision and leadership for the planning, delivery and ongoing assessment of reference and information services, as well as various programs and outreach activities. Although this position will be based at the Main Library, the selected candidate may be asked to work at other locations and in the community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Should possess demonstrated experience supervising professionals and support staff.
- Professional working knowledge of trends and issues in contemporary reference services.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies coupled with a strong working knowledge of both print and electronic resources.
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Thorough knowledge of the purposes, principles and practices of public library administration.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of supervision and training.
- Knowledge of various types of informational materials and methods or organizing materials and information.
- Ability to analyze problems, recommend solutions and make decisions.
- Ability to use good judgement in daily services.
- Ability to relate library services to the needs of the community.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with the public and other employees.
NOTE: This position will be assigned to work in the Main Library’s Adult Services Unit once the library renovation is complete.
Requires a master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school and six months of experience in professional library work.
Must obtain certification of the NC Public Librarian Certification Commission.
Job Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 10/12/2017
Closing Date: 10/27/2017
Salary Min: $43,560.00
Salary Max: $78,408.00
Position Number: 40001764
Updated: October 16, 2017