Current Durham County Library open positions are listed below. To apply for a position, click the “Apply Now” link within the position description. You will be taken to the description on the Durham County website where you can apply online.
For a complete list of all Durham County job openings, see the county’s employment page.
The Stanford L. Warren Branch Library Manager will oversee (hire, supervise, schedule, train and evaluate) a team of both full-time and part-time circulation, teen, children’s and adult services staff. Serve on the library’s Management Council, other library committees and contribute to system-wide initiatives. Develop and implement operational policies and procedures, services and innovative programming. Maintain, promote and coordinate library services, various programs and special events. Participate in the budget preparation process by submitting recommendations for equipment, furnishings, personnel and supplies. Work independently and proactively to build community relationships to foster a positive library image. Ensure that the library facility and equipment is functioning properly and maintain a safe, clean environment for customers and staff. This position is based at the Stanford L. Warren Branch, but candidate could be asked to work at other library locations.
Work is performed under the supervision of the Deputy Director of Library Services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of modern library operation
- Thorough knowledge of library reference, adult, children’s, teen and other library services
- Thorough knowledge and experience with library automated systems
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend practical solutions
- Ability to evaluate library systems and develop new and improved methods
- Ability to train employees in the use of software and hardware and library equipment
- Ability to honor and highlight the rich history of Stanford L. Warren while also providing vast array of library services and programming
- Ability to work well independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and customers
Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited library school and three years of experience in professional library work.
Must obtain certification from NC Public Librarian Certification Commission
Spanish speaking skills
Supervisory experience highly desired
Job Type: Full-Time
Posting Date: 1/14/2020
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary Min: $53,118.00
Salary Max: $95,612.00
Position Number: 40001777
Updated: February 21, 2020