Technology kits are available for checkout at Bragtown Branch Library. If you need reliable access to technology and the internet at home, our tech kits can help.
Each kit contains:
- 1 laptop with charger – preloaded with the Microsoft Office Suite, Skype, and Zoom
- 1 T-Mobile hotspot with charger
- A guide to free electronic resources for job searching, academics, health, and more
- A Durham County Library backpack to hold the items
To check out a kit, you must agree to abide by the guidelines listed below and by the Durham County Library Technology Policy.
Checking out a tech kit
Kits may be checked out for 30 days at a time (no renewals). All items must be returned in good, working condition, or you may be charged a fee to cover the cost of replacing the item.
- Go to Bragtown Branch (3200 Dearborn Drive) and bring your library card.*
- Your library card must be a full-privilege card (no computer use cards or temporary cards), and be clear of any outstanding fees.
- At the time of checkout, a staff member will inspect the laptop and accessories to make sure all items in the kit are intact and running properly.
- You must initial the terms of the check-out checklist in front of the staff member. You’ll also need to sign the Durham County Library Technology Kit Agreement and the Durham County Library Technology Policy.
*If you live in Durham County but do not have a library card, or if you had one but lost it, we can create a card for you at the library. Please bring a picture ID with your name and current address on it, or a piece of mail with your name and current address on it.
Rules for borrowing
- Only one technology kit per library card at a time.
- Technology kits may be placed on hold for pick-up at Bragtown Branch only.
- Technology Kits will only be checked out from Bragtown Branch Library and must be returned to Bragtown Branch Library.
- Overdue hotspots will have internet access deactivated within 24 hours after the due date.
- Technology kits will only be checked out to the library cardholder. You may not check out a kit and loan it to another person. If that happens, the borrower will have their technology kit checkout privileges suspended for one month.
Exception: parents or legal guardians may check out a kit for a child under 18.
Returning a tech kit
- Technology kits must be returned to the desk at Bragtown Branch Library during the library’s open hours. They may not be returned at other branches or in the bookdrop.
- At the time of return, a staff member will inspect the laptop to make sure it is intact and running properly, and all items within the kit are present (laptop, hotspot, and two chargers).
- After the inspection, you’ll initial the return checklist to verify the kit contents in front of the staff member.
Heads up: the check-in process can take from 10-15 minutes.
Lost/damaged item fees and liability
All items must be returned in the same condition as they were received. If an item is returned damaged or is lost, the borrower agrees to pay the replacement cost.
- Laptop (lost/damaged) : $500.00
- AC adapter/power cord : $30.00
- Hotspot : $40.00
- Hotspot charger : $5.00
- Laptops should never be left unattended.
- Any user files will be deleted from the hard drive after the laptop is returned. We recommend saving your work on your own external memory device or through a cloud storage service (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.).
- Borrowers may not:
- install software of any kind onto the laptop.
- alter, delete, copy, or tamper with any software loaded on the laptop or otherwise change its existing configuration.
- tamper with security features.
- The library is not responsible for damage to an external device (i.e. a flash drive or USB drive) or for the security or loss of data that may occur while the laptop is in use.
If you need help using your laptop or hotspot, you can request a time to meet with library staff. To schedule an appointment, call 919-560-0210 or email Kathleen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Technology Kit Program was designed to reach users who lack consistent and reliable access to technology and the internet. The purpose of the Technology Kit Program is to provide equitable access to computers and the internet, thereby lessening the digital divide; encouraging the personal and academic success and the health and well-being of all residents through access to digital services and information; educating residents about online resources relevant to their specific needs and interests; and promoting digital literacy and technology education.
As part of our strategic goals to bridge the digital divide and aid workforce development, these devices come preloaded with software designed to support career and job preparedness.
For more information, contact Bragtown Branch Library at 919-560-0210 or email@example.com.
This program was sponsored through grant funds received from the Durham Library Foundation.