The Friends of the Durham Library is a group of volunteers that provides financial support to Durham County Library. In its 40-year history, the group has raised more than $1 million for the library through book sales and memberships. Over 1,000 Friends contribute annually and many actively volunteer their time as well. The Friends received statewide recognition with the 2005 Frances B. Reid Award “for outstanding service to their library and their community.”
Join the Friends today and help support your library. Memberships are $25 per family or $15 for an individual membership. (Other levels available. See membership form.)
Successful book sales and a growing Friends membership generate income that supports the annual and short-term needs of the library, such as:
- Summer Reading Club: The most popular of all library programs encourages children and families to read while school is out.
- The Picture Gallery at Stanford L. Warren Branch Library: Documents Durham history and is on permanent display in the branch’s lobby, part of an award-winning renovation.
- The Discovery Mobile: Puts library programs on wheels, including Get Set… Get Ready… Let’s Read! early literacy outreach to family child care homes and Library Youth Partnership teens who deliver storytimes to elementary school children.
- Gaming programs for teens: New equipment and games attract hundreds of teens to the library.
Six great reasons to join the Friends of the Durham Library:
- Help make the difference between a good library and a great library.
- Support library programs and services for children, teens and adults.
- Shop early at the book sales for the best selection, open to Friends members only.
- Receive Best of Friends, the Friends’ newsletter.
- Enjoy a 10% discount at several local bookstores; just show your membership card.
With the closing of Main Library for a two-year renovation, the Friends of the Durham Library book sales will be moving to Northgate Mall. More information about dates and hours will be coming in early 2017. There will be a final book sale at Main Library on Saturday, February 11, 2017, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Sunday, February 12, 2017 from 1 – 4 p.m.
The Friends also provide mini-booksales every day at seven locations:
- East Regional, 211 Lick Creek Lane
- Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St.
- North Regional, 221 Milton Road
- South Regional, 4505 S. Alston Road
- Southwest Regional, 3605 Shannon Road
- Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.
- Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St.
The Friends of the Durham Library welcomes donations of books, audiobooks, CDs and DVDs. (Encyclopedias, magazines, cassettes and condensed books are not accepted.) You may take your donation to any Durham County Library location during regular hours.
Between January 15, 2017, when Main Library closes to the public for renovation, and February 14, 2017, book donations can be made to Main Library on Tuesday mornings from 9 a.m. until 12 noon only. Book donations can continue to be taken to all other Durham County Library locations open to the public. After February 14, book sale sorting and operations will move to Northgate Mall in a space next to Sears. Plans are being developed to open that space regularly for book sales.
If you have a question, or wish to make arrangements with the Friends for a special donation, please contact the Staff Liaison to the Friends at 560-0190.
The Friends of the Library Board is actively involved in helping support the mission and programs of Durham County Library.
- Attend monthly meetings on the second Thursday evening of each month
- Assist with book sales
- Actively participate on a Board committee
- Do other tasks to help the library and the Friends
If you have any questions about the Friends Board, please email Alan B. Teasley, Board President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2015-2016 Friends Board
Alan B. Teasley
Robert (Bob) Colver
Felicia A. Leggett
Elnora Joyner Shields
Carol Ann Walters