The Friends of the Durham Library is a group of volunteers that provides financial support to Durham County Library. In its 40-year history, the group has raised more than $1 million for the library through book sales and memberships. Over 1,000 Friends contribute annually and many actively volunteer their time as well. The Friends received statewide recognition with the 2005 Frances B. Reid Award “for outstanding service to their library and their community.”
Join the Friends today and help support your library. Memberships are $25 per family or $15 for an individual membership. (Other levels available. See membership form.)
Successful book sales and a growing Friends membership generate income that supports the annual and short-term needs of the library, such as:
- Summer Reading Club: The most popular of all library programs encourages children and families to read while school is out.
- The Picture Gallery at Stanford L. Warren Branch Library: Documents Durham history and is on permanent display in the branch’s lobby, part of an award-winning renovation.
- The Discovery Mobile: Puts library programs on wheels, including Get Set… Get Ready… Let’s Read! early literacy outreach to family child care homes and Library Youth Partnership teens who deliver storytimes to elementary school children.
- Gaming programs for teens: New equipment and games attract hundreds of teens to the library.
Great reasons to join the Friends of the Durham Library:
- Help make the difference between a good library and a great library.
- Support library programs and services for children, teens and adults.
- Receive Best of Friends, the Friends’ newsletter.
- Enjoy a 10% discount at several local bookstores; just show your membership card.
With the closing of Main Library for a two-year renovation, the Friends of the Durham Library’s big book sales will now be at Books Among Friends, located inside Northgate Mall beside Sears. The grand opening book sale there is Friday, April 28 from 3 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, April 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The Friends also provide mini-booksales every day at seven locations:
- East Regional, 211 Lick Creek Lane
- Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St.
- North Regional, 221 Milton Road
- South Regional, 4505 S. Alston Road
- Southwest Regional, 3605 Shannon Road
- Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.
- Durham Co-op Market, 1111 W. Chapel Hill St.
The Friends of the Durham Library welcomes donations of books, audiobooks, CDs and DVDs. (Encyclopedias, magazines, cassettes and condensed books are not accepted.) You may take your donation to any Durham County Library location during regular hours except for Bragtown.
Book donations are also accepted at the new location, Books Among Friends, at Northgate Mall on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. – 12 noon. Access is from the parking lot between Sears and Catherines. There is a sign in front of the access door on Tuesday mornings and a doorbell.
If you have a question, or wish to make arrangements with the Friends for a special donation, please call 919-560-7159 or email email@example.com.
The Friends of the Library Board is actively involved in helping support the mission and programs of Durham County Library.
- Attend monthly meetings on the second Thursday evening of each month
- Assist with book sales
- Actively participate on a Board committee
- Do other tasks to help the library and the Friends
If you have any questions about the Friends Board, please email Shayne Goodrum, Board President at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016-2017 Friends Board
Felicia A. Leggett
Robert (Bob) Colver
Elnora Joyner Shields
Carol Ann Walters