The Friends of the Durham Library is a group of volunteers that provides financial support to Durham County Library. In its 40-year history, the group has raised more than $1 million for the library through book sales and memberships. Over 1,000 Friends contribute annually and many actively volunteer their time as well. The Friends received statewide recognition with the 2005 Frances B. Reid Award “for outstanding service to their library and their community.”
Join the Friends today and help support your library. Memberships are $25 per family or $15 for an individual membership. (Other levels available. See membership form.)
Successful book sales and a growing Friends membership generate income that supports the annual and short-term needs of the library, such as:
- Summer Reading Club: The most popular of all library programs encourages children and families to read while school is out.
- The Picture Gallery at Stanford L. Warren Branch Library: Documents Durham history and is on permanent display in the branch’s lobby, part of an award-winning renovation.
- The Discovery Mobile: Puts library programs on wheels, including Get Set… Get Ready… Let’s Read! early literacy outreach to family child care homes and Library Youth Partnership teens who deliver storytimes to elementary school children.
- Gaming programs for teens: New equipment and games attract hundreds of teens to the library.
Six great reasons to join the Friends of the Durham Library:
- Help make the difference between a good library and a great library.
- Support library programs and services for children, teens and adults.
- Shop early at the book sales for the best selection, open to Friends members only.
- Receive Best of Friends, the Friends’ newsletter.
- Enjoy a 10% discount at several local bookstores; just show your membership card.
You can find great bargains on gently used books at the Friends of the Durham Library book sales. Held in spring and fall, book sales at Main Library offer thousands of used books categorized for easy shopping, as well as audiobooks, CDs and DVDs. Paperbacks begin at 50 cents and hardbacks at $1. “Satellite” sales satisfy bargain-hunters year-round with a smaller selection of books, many in gift-giving condition.
2016 Spring Book Sale: April 15 – 17, Main Library
2016 Fall Book Sale: October 7 – 9, Main Library
Mini-booksales every day at seven locations:
- American Tobacco Campus, 334 Blackwell St.
- East Regional, 211 Lick Creek Lane
- Main Library, 300 N. Roxboro St.
- North Regional, 221 Milton Road
- South Regional, 4505 S. Alston Road
- Southwest Regional, 3605 Shannon Road
- Stanford L. Warren Branch Library, 1201 Fayetteville St.
The Friends of the Durham Library welcomes donations of books, audiobooks, CDs and DVDs. (Encyclopedias, magazines, cassettes and condensed books are not accepted.) You may take your donation to any Durham County Library location during regular hours. If you would like to donate a large amount of books (more than one bag), please bring them to the Main Library garage on Tuesday morning between 9 a.m. and 12 noon, when the Friends of the Durham Library are present and can help unload. The garage is on the far right side, closest to Holloway Street, as you face the Main Library from the parking lot.
If you cannot bring your large donation to the Main Library on Tuesday morning, please come first to the Main Library circulation desk and let them know you have a large donation. The security guard will open the garage doors so that you can unload your donation straight into the garage.
If you have a question, or wish to make arrangements with the Friends for a special donation, please contact the Staff Liaison to the Friends, Dionne Greenlee, at 560-0190.
The Friends of the Library Board is actively involved in helping support the mission and programs of Durham County Library.
- Attend monthly meetings on the second Thursday evening of each month
- Assist with book sales
- Actively participate on a Board committee
- Do other tasks to help the library and the Friends
If you have any questions about the Friends Board, please email Alan B. Teasley, Board President at email@example.com.
2015-2016 Friends Board
Alan B. Teasley
Robert (Bob) Colver
Felicia A. Leggett
Elnora Joyner Shields
Carol Ann Walters