Durham County Library is excited to offer free, digital versions of popular magazines for our patrons through RBdigital. We subscribe to over 70 e-magazines including Cosmopolitan, Newsweek, ESPN the Magazine, National Geographic, O, the Oprah Magazine and many more.
- No checkout periods; keep the magazine for as long as you want
- Multiple viewing platforms (computer, tablet, smartphone)
- Interactive elements such as audio and video
- Intuitive searching and navigating within each magazine.
Getting Started with RBdigital
The following sections will help you get started with checking out digital magazines from via RBdigital. If you need further assistance, visit any DCoL location or find more help guides, FAQs, and an online support request form at our online help page.
Using DCoL’s free RBdigital magazine subscription service requires the creation of a library collection account that connects you to the DCoL collection and allows you to check out and read magazines.
Create a library collection account:
- Go to the library’s RBdigital Collection page. (We recommend bookmarking this page in your computer or mobile device’s browser.)
- Browse the collection and click on a magazine to check out and click Checkout.
- Click Create New Account.
- Enter your full, 14-digit DCoL library card number and PIN, and click Next.
- Enter you name, email address and choose a password.
- Enter the required information and click Create Account.
- Once your library account is validated, click Confirm Checkout.
- Your magazine in now checked out and available to read.
Visit your device’s app store to download and install the free RBdigital app.
The RBdigital mobile app is available for iPad®, iPhone® and Android™ for free in the corresponding app stores.
An app is also available for Kindle Fire HD/HDX tablets. For information on how to install this app, view a getting started guide (PDF).
Follow these steps to read your magazines using your device’s browser or the RBdigital app.
Using Your Computer’s Web Browser
After checking out a magazine, click the cover image to open it for reading.
Note: Some magazines can only be viewed using the RBdigital app and will not be available on your computer.
Using the RBdigital on Smart Devices
Reading magazines on smart devices (tablets, smartphones) must be done through the RBdigital app; no online browser is available.
- Open the RBdigital app and sign in to your library collection account.
- Select a magazine you’ve previously checked out by tapping on the cover.
- The issue will open for reading and begin downloading to your device.
- Continue reading your magazine, or finish reading offline after the download is finished.