The Community Information Policy sets guidelines for posting of information on the library’s community bulletin boards and for the distribution of free publications by area organizations and publishers within the confines of library buildings.
B. POLICY STATEMENT
In its role as a center of community information, Durham County Library supports the free flow of information and exchange of ideas. It therefore provides bulletin boards in its facilities for individuals and groups in the community to announce events and services that are of general and current interest. Notices may only be posted on designated bulletin boards. Notices may not be mounted to walls, doors, windows or other surfaces. If damages occur, the posting parties are responsible for the cost of repairs. Notices may be posted within limitations of space and according to the following guidelines. Notices not complying with these guidelines will be removed.
- Only one copy of a notice is permitted.
- Maximum size is 11in x 14in.
- Materials must clearly show date of posting.
- Notices may be posted for one month.
- Notices of events must be removed after the event has taken place.
- Notices must be placed so they do not obscure other notices.
- No materials may be placed in areas designated for library postings.
- Posting of notices does not imply library endorsement.
- Notices advocating fraud or unlawful actions or notices the library considers to be inappropriate are not permitted, and will be removed if posted.
C. DISTRIBUTION OF FREE PUBLICATIONS POLICY STATEMENT
In its role as a center of community information, Durham County Library supports the free flow of information and exchange of ideas. The library, therefore, serves as a point of distribution for certain free publications, within the limitations of space and according to the following criteria.
Publications accepted for distribution will:
- Be of general interest and furnish reliable information of wide appeal;
- Focus on local interest/events in Durham and the Triangle area; and
- Relate to the needs of current and incoming residents of Durham County.
Publications that meet these criteria will be added as space permits on a first-come, first-served basis. Distributors must:
- Deliver publications regularly;
- Place publications in approved locations; and
- Discard out-of-date issues.
Failure to meet the criteria will result in loss of privilege of distribution at Durham County Library facilities.
This policy is applicable to community bulletin boards and the distribution of publications throughout the library system.
It is the responsibility of the Marketing Division staff and designated staff at each location to understand this policy fully to ensure fair and equitable application. It is the responsibility of the Marketing & Development Manager, with the advice of the Board of Trustees, to interpret, monitor, and recommend updates to the policy. The Library Director is the final authority in regard to enforcing this policy.
Effective Date: July 2018