The Durham County Library offers library services to all residents of and visitors to Durham County regardless of age, economic status, race, ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. The library staff is committed to providing a clean, welcoming, comfortable, safe, and accessible environment in all of our facilities. The purpose of this policy is to establish regulations governing behavior on library property
Library customers and staff have a right to assume that their time spent in the library will be free from physical threat or psychological harassment. In order to maintain a welcoming and safe environment, the following behaviors are unacceptable:
- Violations of law include but not limited to weapons of any kind, possession of controlled substances, stealing, using false identification, vandalism, threats, harassment, disorderly conduct, and loitering.
- Inappropriate noise level and tone of speech for a library setting.
- Cell phone use in undesignated areas.
- Disorderly conduct and lewd behavior. To include sleeping or restroom bathing.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times. To include shirts and shoes.
- No animals permitted, unless it’s a service animal.
- Defacing or destroying library materials, buildings, or other property.
- Using another person’s card without permission.
- Having beverages in uncovered containers or eating food, except as part of a library-sponsored program or a pre-approved event in a meeting room.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes, in the library or on the library grounds.
- Bringing more than 2 bags or large bags of any type, including bedrolls or luggage, into the library. Bags are not to exceed the following dimensions: 22” x 14” x 9″
- Solicitng funds, panhandling, gambling, or selling of any kind unless approved by the Library Director.
- Commtting a criminal offense as defined by local, state and federal laws.
C. POLICY VIOLATIONS
Violators of this policy may be subject to exclusion from library buildings and grounds, and may lose library privileges. Violations of law will be referred to local law enforcement, when necessary. Criminal behavior will be prosecuted under the law.
This policy applies to all library customers and/or persons on library property.
E. LEGAL REFERENCES
G.S 153A-266 and the criminal offenses defined by Federal Government, the State of North Carolina, and the City and County of Durham.
G.S 14-132 Disorderly conduct in and injuries to public buildings and facilities.
G.S 14-269 Carrying Concealed Weapons
G.S 14-269A Weapons on Campus or Other Educational Property
G.S 14-277.1 Communicating Threats
G.S 14-277.3A Stalking
G.S 14-398 Theft or destrction of property of public libraries, museums. etc
G.S 130A-493 Smoking Prohibited
G.S 130A-498 Local Governments may restrict smoking public places
It is the responsibility of all public service staff and facility supervisors to understand this policy fully so as to ensure fair and equitable application. It is the responsibility of the Deputy Director and the Assistant Director for Planning and Facilities, with the advice of the Board of Trustees, to interpret, monitor, and recommend updates to this policy. The Library Director is the final authority in regards to enforcing this policy.
Revised: August 2016