The purpose of the meeting room policy is to provide a basis for equitable service to all customers who request to use the library’s facilities and to clarify the responsibilities of both the library and its customers with regard to the use of the library’s meeting rooms. Meetings held in library meeting rooms must be free and open to the public.
B. POLICY STATEMENT
Durham County Library makes its meeting room facilities available to local groups and organizations for lawful public use on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use. All meetings must be free and open to the public. No fees, dues or donations may be charged to or solicited from those attending meetings held in library facilities. Permission by the library to use its facilities does not constitute an endorsement by the library staff, the Library Board, or the Durham County Board of Commissioners.
The library’s meeting rooms are not available for private social functions such as graduations, weddings, birthday or anniversary parties. Large meeting rooms are not available for individual use. Meeting rooms are not to be used as a base of operations for any club, business, or organization. Meetings cannot exceed room capacity as determined by the Durham County Fire Marshal.
A valid, full privileges Durham County Library card is required to reserve a meeting room. Courtesy, Temporary and Computer Use cards may not be used to reserve a meeting room. Meeting rooms may be reserved online (durhamcountylibrary.org), by phone or in person. Please notify the library of cancellation prior to the meeting date so that the room may be made available to other patrons. Room reservations are forfeited if the individual or group has not arrived within 15 minutes of the scheduled start of the reservation. Room reservations will terminate 30 minutes prior to the close of the library. Abuse of the Meeting Room Policy may result in loss of room usage privileges.
Regional /Branch Large Meeting Rooms
- Reservation requests may be made no more than 90 days in advance.
- There is a maximum of three (3) reservations per 90-day period.
- Each reservation is subject to approval.
- Reservation requests must include the reserver’s name, phone number, email address, the name of the group or organization, and a detailed description of purpose of meeting.
Regional /Branch Library Small Meeting Rooms, Tutoring/Study Rooms
- Reservations may be made no more than 31 days in advance.
- Reservations are for 30 minute increments.
- There is a maximum of two hours of total reservations outstanding per customer or group at any time.
- There is a maximum of two one-hour or four 30 minute reservations per day, per location. The reservations may be for two consecutive hours.
D. REFRESHMENTS AND ROOM FEE STRUCTURE
- Regional/Branch Large Meeting Rooms
- Nonprofits: Free, unless refreshments are served, in which case there is a $25 fee
- Commercial/for profit: Meetings of up to four hours: $100; Meetings of more than four hours: $200
- Regional Library Small Meeting Rooms, Tutoring/Study rooms
- Free. No food allowed.
- All meeting room fees are due before obtaining access to the room.
- Meeting room fees are not refundable.
- Customers who book a meeting room accept responsibility for costs, including refreshment fees (when applicable), for-profit fees, and costs for additional cleaning and/or repairs due to damage done to library property.
- No alcoholic beverages may be served.
- Any unpaid food, damage or room use fees will be assessed to the library card number associated with the reservation.
It is the responsibility of all public service staff and facility supervisors to understand this policy fully so as to ensure fair and equitable application. It is the responsibility of the Deputy Director and the Assistant Director for Planning and Facilities, with the advice of the Board of Trustees, to interpret, monitor and recommend updates to this policy. The Library Director is the final authority with regard to restrictions on the use of the library.
Effective Date: July 2018